1 medium cucumber, peeled and seeded, see instructions if you need them
1 cup plain yogurt, see instructions below
¼ cup chopped fresh mint
Salt to taste
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Dice the cucumber into ¼-inch cubes and place in a bowl.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
3. Serve immediately or make an hour or two in advance and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Variations: You can add a small amount (or a large amount if you like) of finely minced or pressed fresh garlic. With fresh garlic, I always start with a small amount, taste the dish, and add more if it seems to warrant it.
Makes about 3 cups
Adapted from Annie Somerville’s Fields of Greens
How to drain soupy yogurt
1. If your yogurt is too soupy, strain 2 cups of the soupy stuff through a double thickness of paper towels lining a sieve, set over a good-sized bowl or pitcher.
2. Allow the yogurt liquid to drain until the yogurt is the thickness you desire. Empty the liquid if it threatens to reach the sieve.