Roasting concentrates the luscious strawberry flavor. You won’t believe it.
1. Remove the stems and place the strawberries on a rimmed baking sheet covered with parchment paper or silicone mat.
2. Sprinkle lightly with sugar (about 1 tablespoon per basket).
3. Roast in a 300°F oven for about 1 to 1½ hours. Turn them over about half way through roasting. You can use Convection Roast if your oven does that. The roasting time will be shorter.
4. The strawberries are done when they have shrunk to about half their original size and are soft without being burned.
5. Store with any collected juices in the refrigerator in a covered container.
Serve with Fudge Brownies, anything chocolate, panna cotta, or shortcakes.
Adapted from Michelle Polzine’s suggestions in San Francisco Magazine, June 2007