2 tablespoons butter
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Melt butter in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in sugar and cocoa.
2. Return to heat and slowly add evaporated milk, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil. Continue to boil and stir for 10 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and add the vanilla. Sauce will be quite thin but will set a little as it cools.
- You can also use 1½ cups heavy cream if you’d like instead of the evaporated milk.
- I added ¼ teaspoon salt because I think sweet things are always helped by a bit of it. There is a physiological reason for that, but we don’t need to go into it here.
Created by Ruth and made at the cottage numerous times